Programs & Events
Listed below is a brief summary of the educational programs Vermilion Valley Vineyards offers. Please check our events page for the upcoming weekly entertainment and more of our regularly scheduled on-and off-site experiential and educational programs. From time to time the items listed below will be scheduled on our calendar as public events. These same presentations, wine tastings, and field trips are also available to groups and organizations that wish to include them as additions to their private events at the winery.
- Rural Lorain County’s natural and cultivated landscapes: A description of Lorain County’s remaining natural ecosystems and their problems and its croplands and what likely lies ahead for both in a rapidly changing world.
- The natural history of the Vermilion River Watershed: A description of the plants and animals that live in the watershed, plus important aspects of its hydrology and geology.
- The origin, history, and nature of wine (the botany and chemistry of wine): A description of how the grapes used to produce wine were domesticated beginning many thousands of years ago and why grape wine exceeds in variety, complexity, and popularity all of the others made from other kinds of fruit.
- Educational wine tasting: A tasting of representative table wines accompanied by information on the distinguishing characteristics of these wines and the criteria and point systems used for serious wine evaluation.
- The wines of Ohio: what are they and where did the grape varieties used come from? Ohio’s wines are being made from dozens of varieties of grapes that belong to four major classes. Representative of each class will be tasted and their distinctive attributes and histories described.
- Wine making from grape to bottle: A description of the basic practices of grape culture and wine making as followed at VVV. Samples of finished products will be provided.
- Field trips to area natural sites: Destinations will vary according to the season, time allowed, and additional circumstances.
- Stargazing: Our rural location is an amazing spot to observe the night sky and its celestial objects. Bring your own equipment or participate in one of our regularly scheduled events.
Check Our Upcoming Events on Our Event Page
Attention home wine makers: Vermilion Valley Vineyards is experiencing a bumper crop of wine grapes this fall. Both white and red vinifera varieties will probably exceed our own wine-making needs. Purchases will be by the lug (approximately a 40-pound lot). Individuals willing to pick more lugs than they wish to buy may do so in lieu of paying for what they take away.
All of our grapes are much loved and carefully tended, which means that they are often cluster-thinned and green- pruned, and so exceed in quality much of the material offered by other commercial sources.
You will need to make reservations for this program. Please call (440) 965-5202 for current picking dates and prices.